One week in, and it has been a really busy month so far. At least with work versus horse stuff.
Here is the PDF link to Lex’s May Training Plan The summary of my goals and challenges is below.
May’s Monthly Training Goals:
- Active training 3-5 days per week
- Practice with clippers, focus on ears.
- Teach to move forward on lunge with side reins.
- Get moving on showmanship and halter training – show in 30 days!
- Walk, jog, lope, comfortably under saddle and doing good direction changes at walk and jog. Loose rein, comfortable movement, easy steering.
- Total working ring time = 40 minutes, about 20 minutes under saddle/session
I have a really varied and busy work schedule this month. It will be difficult to get all of my rides and planed sessions in. My focus will be to get show ready for halter versus performance under saddle this month. Lex is a little performance horse, so I’m going to need to get cracking to get him ready for the halter show pen.
Lex is lunging nicely, and is working solidly on all ground work cues. He has been mounted 3 times, and has been lightly flexed to the side and with side reins attached to his saddle. He gives nicely to pressure, but is still a little slow on the lunge. He is not as “into” everything as he was last month though he has figured out how to untie quick release knots! I typically lead on a loose line, but discovered when a friend lead him he is goes back to trying to lick his handler on a short line. Need to work on not doing that, no matter how close he is to a human! Lex can only be termed as lazy under saddle so far. Going to make sure I have a helper with me when I do the next number of rides – so I don’t feel like a small fry kid kicking my pony!